Education Tax Benefits
Credit Hours: 8
Field of Study: Taxes
Requires Prerequisites or Advanced Preparation: No
Delivery Method: Online PDF
Instructor: Paul Winn, CLU, ChFC
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify the features and tax benefits of qualified tuition programs available under IRC §529.
- Recognize the limits and tax treatment of contributions to and distributions from a Coverdell education savings account (ESA).
- Identify the tax treatment of interest earned under qualified U.S. savings bonds used to pay certain education expenses.
- Apply the American opportunity and lifetime learning credit rules.
- Recognize the tax treatment given to scholarships, fellowships and other types of educational assistance
- Apply the federal income tax rules applicable to student loan interest, payment of tuition and fees, and student loan cancellations and repayment assistance.